Just like we get bored with the same ol’-same ol’ in other areas, sometimes we just don’t read the Bible because we never did; we just don’t. That can be a rut. Or if we do read our Bible, reading it gets ho-hum. We may be in the habit of reading it just because that’s something we do. We get so used to the truths in it that we don’t allow God to really speak to us through it. We don’t get anything out of it, because we don’t expect to. That is also a rut. How about if we read God’s Word expectantly? How about if we pray, saying “Lord, open my eyes to the Truth You want me to know today.” Because God’s Word is living, powerful and applicable to every situation we face, we can open it, and let Him talk to us! Here are some suggestions I’ve found to be helpful to keep reading the Bible a fascinating daily experience:
- Set aside a certain time and place each day to read your Bible. Early is good! Alone is wonderful!
- Pray for God to speak to your specific needs. He will!
- Open your Bible and have a pencil and notepad to write things you’re learning, or that God is reminding you of. If you don’t know what to write, here are some ideas you can build on:
- What is God showing me about Himself? Praise Him for each of His attributes you find!
- What is God telling me about myself? Sincerely confess sins that need to be confessed, and ask His help to make necessary changes.
- Is there an example that I should imitate in this passage? Imitate it!
- Is there a commandment I should obey? Ask Him for an obedient heart and right desires.
- Is there a promise I can claim? Write it on 3×5 cards, and put them everywhere. Read them often, and thank Him that He never goes back on His Word. NEVER!
- Does this reading point out something I should be thankful for? Thank Him!
God’s mercies and compassion are new on us every morning. He wants us to get out of our same ol’-same ol’ mode and expectantly look to HIM to renew our minds daily. Let’s step up to the challenge of discovering what He has to say to us; to renew our minds. He WILL speak to us. Let’s listen!