In the past few days, I heard of very difficult situations some friends and family are facing: serious medical issues, rebellious children, an elderly mother’s dementia, a marriage that is going through extremely trying times, a mom concerned about her adult children’s bad choices, a friend caring for her mom who is undergoing treatment for cancer, and the list goes on…and on…and on…
I’m reminded of what God told Moses at the burning bush, when His chosen people were suffering under Egyptian bondage. He said: “I have surely seen the oppression of My people…I have heard their cry…I know their sorrows. So I have come down to deliver them…and to bring them up to a good and large land…” (Exodus 3:7-10). God saw. God heard their cry. God knew their sorrows, and came down to deliver them. The prophet Isaiah confirmed that by writing: “In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the Angel of His Presence saved them; In His love and in His pity He redeemed them; and He bore them and carried them all the days of old.” (Isaiah 63:9)
Has God changed? ABSOLUTELY NOT! He is the very same God! We can look at it this way:
• If He was afflicted in all the affliction of His people thousands of years ago, He’s afflicted in all of our afflictions, too!
• If He redeemed them in His love and Mercy, His renewed compassion redeems us, too!
• If He bore them and carried them all of their days, then He can carry us every day, too!
• If He heard their groaning and every time they cried out to Him, He hears us every time we cry out to Him, too!
• If he saw their oppression, He is very much aware of our situation, too!
• If He knew their sorrows and came down to deliver them, He will come down to deliver us, too!
God assures us through the prophet Malachi that “I am the Lord, I do not change.” (Mal. 3:6) His compassions never change! His faithfulness never changes! His promises never change! His love for us never changes! His strength does not change! Praise God, we can trust in Him today, and know that we can trust Him tomorrow, too, because….
GOD HAS NOT CHANGED!